Monday 28 June 2010

So do I really want to go barefoot?

Of course I do, but as I want this blog to be about all things yog I want to investigae this further. As a beginner, and from what I've seen so far I guess the norm is to do yoga barefoot? Personally I like to take a pair of socks in with me in case the teacher asks us to do stretches in pairs - I don't think it's fair to put your feet on someone if you've come straight from the office without showering. And what about the things you could catch from the gym floor?! Anyway, one of my teachers doesn't mind socks, while the other makes you take them off, which is no big deal. The obvious reason for this is that socks are slippy so you're less stable in the poses, though there may well be other benefits to going sockless that I'm unaware of (other than having nice free toes!). And of course, whenever there's even the slightest need for something, someone goes and invents a product - yoga shoes - with nonslip soles. I've never actually seen anyone in Spain wear these, and I'd feel a bit silly if I were the only one in class, but secretly I think they seem like quite a good idea.

Here are some options that caught my fancy:
The Vibram 5 fingers shoe, around 80 dollars - love the whole Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles thing! (You can see Tim Ferrisse's review here, though he's not talking about the yoga ones).

And Nike's Kalma which is not as cool (in my humble opinion):

No comments:

Post a Comment